RIETVLEI NATURE RESERVE GUIDED HORSE TRAILS Experience the Highveld on horseback, as the pioneers found it in the past century. A variety of game including two of Africa’s big 5 game species are dispersed over the undulating landscape and can be viewed from up close. Over 272 bird species have been recorded on the reserve, making it the birdwatcher’s paradise. The Rietvlei Nature reserve is conveniently situated only 18 km from Pretoria’s city centre and 38 km from the O.R. Tambo airpot.
Date: 19-21 August 2011, arrive 3pm on friday leave 2pm sunday
Cost per person: R 265 per person
Group size: Min. 6 – Max. 8 people
Provided by Rietvlei Nature Reserve:
- A qualified guide and a stable assistant
- Horses and basic riding equipment (saddles and bridles)
- Overnight facilities that consist of two adjoined rondavels with 2 bunk beds and mattresses inside each rondavel (sleeps 8 people in total), a flushing toilet, a hot shower (solar heated), a sink, two cast iron pots and a kettle, a braai facility and wood. Please note: No electricity or gas is provided at the overnight huts.
You must bring:
- Suitable clothing for riding (long pants), warm clothing for both summer and winter
- Protective gear if possible (a cycling helmet will do)
- Hats, sunblock and insect repellent
- Snacks and drinks for the trail
- Binoculars and cameras
- A carrot or two for your horse (optional)
- Own bedding (fitted sheets, sleeping bags and pillows), food and drink, cutlery and crockery, clothing and toiletries, lights (candles, gas lamps), matches and raincoats
Please take note of the following:
- The weight restriction for the trails is 120 kg.
- No children under the age of 12 are permitted on the trails due to the suitability of the equipment provided.
- An indemnity form must be completed prior to the activity and children under the age of 18 must be assisted by a guardian.
- Luggage will be moved by the guide from the first overnight hut to the second.